Monday 16 March 2015

Social Object: Second Prototype

As my first EMF detector not quite working in the way I wanted it to, so I made a second prototype, exactly the same setup as the first one only this time, I have looped a coil of copper on a chapstick, which was about 15-20 cm long. This coil of copper is my new prop to replace a single piece of jump wire. 


The second prototype with much longer prop did next to nothing new as my first one. The prototype is able to pick up low frequencies generated by AC power. Therefore if the detector is close to a power adapter it shows positive result, as anything powered by DC current, without adapter, the result is negative.

As I said, very interestingly, the detector will be able to find my 7 years old laptop very clearly, there was no flickering LED, it was one strong and constant signal from that laptop. I suspect is because EMF has been claim to have negative effects to human health, and a huge debate has been there for awhile already. That's why the manufacturers are trying to shield the EMF within the device so less or none emission from the newer products.

At this point, I can tell that this method will not work for my project as my target is to detect Mobile phones and such, it's useless if low frequencies EMF is the only thing it can find. So I have to change my direction a little bit to find a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment