Tuesday 11 November 2014

Narrative - Netsuke

In the project, Narrative, we were asked to pick an object from V&A museum, which we think is interesting in some sense, an object that carries an unique fact or story that can be explore or extent with modern ideology. And finally display the narrative we like to show in a form of interactive object.


I have to admit, I had a feeling that this project is not going to be easy to me and I was right. from picking the object to exploring it`s narrative and present it as an interactive museum installation. The process and amount of difficulty has gone way beyond my expectation. This will be quite a challenge to myself.

After some walks at the museum, there are many have some potential to be "Interesting", yet I could not know for sure as there is little to none useful information on most of them, eventually I had to picked up some, which I need to guess if it would be useful. After wondering around the museum, I found myself deeply into this collection of exhibits- Netsuke.



Netsuke was invented around 17th century. Netsukes were used for a specific function, the Japanese traditional dress- Kosode and Kimono had no carrying pocket, their solution was to place such objects in containers hung by cords from the robes' sashes. 



Technically Netsuke is not a single object but a collection of physical objects, I am not sure if that fits the brief but I would like to choose this thing anyway because I feel that these are way more familiar to me than some other European inventions as Japan and China share a similar history to an extent and it makes more sense to me.



I have also found an interesting background of Netsuke, British artist Edmund de Waal has written a book about the Netsukes he was inherited from his family "The Hare with Amber Eyes" 














No comments:

Post a Comment